This is a post I wrote a few months ago for another blog I own.
There are some resources that are favored by some job hunters which are overlooked by others. Are you using all the resources available to you? It can only help. Here are 8 resources you can use in your job hunt.
- Local newspapers (online and offline) - look for news about new businesses opening or companies moving into your town.
- Forums - you can really utilize any forum to network and find out about available opportunities.
- Career websites - Yahoo! HotJobs, Monster.com, and Job.com are a few good choices.
- Job boards - Like career websites except more of a classified add type of site where jobs are posted with contact information. Craigslist is a good source.
- Job fairs - Monster has a great searchable directory for job fairs where you can meet employers face to face.
- College notice boards - you can find great jobs along with other things that may interest you there
- Word of mouth - get the word out to all your friends and family regarding your job hunt. Some companies reward their employees for finding qualified candidates.
There are many other resources out there which should all be taken advantage of. I guess it just depends on how much you need a job.